As summarized on page 89 of the Recommended Budget:
- FY 2006/07 $1,080,361
- FY 2007/08 $ 994,976 (Staffing: FTE 15.25)
- FY 2008/09 $ 696,810 (Staffing: FTE 7.50)
- FY 2009/10 $ 610,389 (Staffing: FTE 6.50)
Reductions in Library services, caused by these cuts, will include:
- Operating hours reduced from 31 hours to 20-24 hours per week. (A 22-35 percent reduction.)
- Library open only four days per week.
- Elimination of one full-time position.
- Reduction in part-time staffing, including the elimination of the recently approved Librarian I position.
- Increased fines for overdue books.
- Increased fees for Interlibrary Loan.
- Elimination of one or two storytimes per week.
- Reduced coverage at the Children's and Adult Reference Desks.
- Reduced funds for books, magazines, DVDs and CDs. (The Friends of the Library donation will be used for operating costs rather than for new books and materials.)
- Fewer online databases. (The online World Book Encyclopedia, Oxford English Dictionary, and Litfinder database have already been cut for next year.)
- Inability to implement objectives outlined in the Library Services Study, (commonly referred to as "The Strategic Plan").
On Wednesday, May 20th, the City Council will hold a public hearing, as well as introduce and hold a first reading of an ordinance to approve the recommended budget for FY 2009/10. This is an opportunity to share your comments, requests, needs, ideas, and insight with your elected representatives. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. We encourage you to be there to support YOUR Library.